Friday, April 30, 2010

INSPIRATION

Couple of years ago, I wrote a blog about inspiration.  How and where to find it, and why it seemed hard to find...As time passed, I found some.  But as fast as I found it, the faster it slipped away too.  I realized those ones were superficial inspirations.  Not real inspirations that last a lifetime, and could be life-changing.

There's an interesting movie I've watched recently that I can relate to this, and that's the INVICTUS movie by Morgan Freeman --  A snapshot story of Nelson Mandela during his leadership years in South Africa where he saves a rugby team from losing the world cup through an inspirational poetry by the same title..This is the same poem that pulls him through life while he's incarcerated.  Being amaze by the movie, I search for this piece and here's what I've got:



INVICTUS (it's a latin word for "unconquered")
by William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.


How this poem have inspired the team and lead to their victory is one of many life mysteries that will leave us wondering.  How can a piece of writing be an inspiration?

Contemplating on this, I realize that there's this little piece of poetry that's stash in my head since I'm in grade school - DESIDERATA.   Through all these years, it has been there buggling me from time to time specially during tough times and tragedies.  I believe it's been my invisible stronghold, and the reason why I survive all difficulties.

I think INSPIRATION is a significant universal force that keeps us believing, dreaming, hoping and winning...