Monday, April 19, 2010

Excellent Customer Service

It was a very lovely Sunday yesterday.  The weather was perfect. It was sunny with clear skies and  a swift of gentle breeze.  I was definite that spring season had finally arrived.  And since I thought it was a perfect day to do a little spring cleaning, I decided to put away my winter shoes back into their boxes.  So I could clear my shoe rack and pave way to my favorite flats and sneakers of the season...

...And speaking of sneakers, I know need a new one for my New York trip. My friend, whom I'll be meeting up there, has told me to wear something comfortable because we'll be walking most of the time.  Since this is my first time, I've trusted the advice of someone who's more familiar with the place.

Actually, it's been weeks now that I'm  contemplating on what footwear to get.   A flat shoes? A running shoes? Or a simple sneakers.  After window shopping many times, I've decided to get sneakers -- A good quality one that can withstand plenty of walking...Meaning -- something more expensive than my regular footwear.

In the afternoon I found myself in the skechers store.  The only one in Vancouver that I know of, and in fact a walking distance from my place... There was a nice asian lady who approached  me while I was scrutinizing the sneakers I wanted.   And after talking with her for a few minutes, I was convinced that I wanted to go for it. So she helped out with my purchase.  But  before she actually rung it, she introduced herself; shook  my hand and pleasantly asked for my first name.  And I thought that was a very nice gesture of a sales person... So for the whole time we were chatting, she didn't miss to call me with my first.  I was floored by the way I was handled as a customer.  So before I left the store, I made sure I said "thank you" without leaving behind her first name as well.

I'm so thrilled.  I really don't know if it's just a pleasant day or it's the weather that makes people cheerful.  Because for me, what has happened in that store is a rare excellent customer service.  I don't get that all the time.  And being treated with utmost courtesy makes you want to remember the sales person and even go back to that store again.

 I like it when people you're dealing with call you by your first name.  Instead of just saying--- "Thank you" or "Sorry" abruptly.  Because I think, calling a person by their first name is the most distinguished way of showing courtesy to that person.  Even if you are not sure how to address them.  One doesn't have to be over zealous or cocky because it can sometimes be misunderstood as being so pretentious.   It's simply -- the first name...

I have a lot of shopping experience in every places, and this is by far one of a kind customer service to me.  I have also been in sales once, that's why I know what a good customer service should be.  And this one is surely a thumbs up.  Something that will stick to my mind.  And definitely, will make me remember the store.

This is my first time at Skechers store. My first time to buy an expensive sneaker.  My first time to meet an excellent customer service person.  And most of all, my first time to feel that I get what I pay for

Maybe it's time for me to change my buying habit.  I should go for quality and expensive stuff next time, so then I can get a stress-free excellent customer service all the time...